Thread: Coronavirus
View Single Post
Old 07.10.2021, 07:20 AM   #1615
Antagon
invito al cielo

Antagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's asses
^ Thanks for the link. Different scenario here, at least in Vienna - it's rather easy to get test results quickly here. Even some you can do at home are accepted - ones you have to send in somewhere and wait a few hours to find out the results though - so planning ahead shouldn't be a big problem. However, a lot of locations just don't bother checking, for fear of losing customers probably (which in the long run is kind of stupid considering they'll lose many more if word of a cluster spreads).

The reigning coalition is currently pushing laissez-faire rhetoric and relaxing-of-measures policies for populist reasons. Regional governments are somewhat pushing back though - the Viennese mayor and his party affiliate and former Chancellor candidate Pamela Rendi Wagner have openly proclaimed their discomfort with the lack of care being taken right now - especially with regards to the lifting of the FFP2 mask mandate. The latter of the two being an actual virologist, btw.

I have at least gotten my first part of the vaccine, with the second injection coming soon, so I'm a tad more mentally relaxed now. I am however aware that a good amount of people have still not even received their first shot yet and that's not necessarily down to their personal choice (in some cases it is, but can't help those). The government could have had many more doses ready much sooner, but they seriously bungled this whole thing. And communication has been an issue from the very beginning. So lifting everything prematurely and acting like a) Everyone who wants to is fully vaccinated at this point and b) a vaccination equals inability to spread the virus, is kind of a frightening consensus by the powers that be right now - completely fucking over those that have not had the chance to get vaxxed by now or those who are rightfully concerned about a possible spread still. Right up until the numbers go up again and everyone acts like no one could have known. The human condition is a sucker.

So, in conclusion: Different details, but I can easily see numbers going up again sharply like they did in the Netherlands. The whole thing about testing being rather easy here certainly is a big advantage. But it only works if public institutions actually check for that and if people are not disincentivized to get tested by the lax atmosphere.

Antagon is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|