View Single Post
Old 06.03.2016, 09:34 PM   #2164
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Louder man,
Hey dawg, how long has it been since you popped on a track or two from TLOP just to see if you felt differently about it? I'm assuming it's been a big fat fuckin' while.

I was on the road yesterday, and took the opportunity to listen to it from start to finish — "filler" tracks included — which I haven't actually done in a while at this point. I usually either play ULB-Highlights (the first half) or start with "Waves" and go through to the end. But I listened to everything, and even to me, the guy who's loved it since the start, it sounded better than ever. I no longer wish "I love Kanye" and "Silver Surfer" weren't on the album. I dig the moments of respite they offer. And taken as a whole, it's just a BEAST.

I really hope you revisit it. I think it's possible that you might kinda do a flip-flop on it.

I do this with albums I don't like initially ALL THE TIME. I check in on them to see if time away from the record has cleansed my palette, allowing me to appreciate things I once took for granted. I did this with My Krazy Life, because I did not care for that album at first. I did it with Good Kid after I saw Kendrick live. I have done it with countless Future tapes. Sometimes I still feel nothing for the album. But usually I find something I didn't notice the first time around.

I say this because I've heard a ton of great music this year from all over the music spectrum. Really impressive stuff. Some of it is truly brilliant. But there's just nothing out there, not even among the handful of TOP TIER releases this year has produced... there's NOTHING that can even hold a candle to TLOP. It sucks me in every time, and apparently not even 99% or Lemonade or Coloring Book, or long awaited new releases from Pantha Du Prince or Autechre can compete with this album.

I hope you give it another go, now that you've had some months to distance yourself from the hype and hysteria. Because Pablo delivers. If the lyrics don't grab you, the production has to (or... really should).

Anyway, that's my schpeal. Go on about your business.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|