View Single Post
Old 01.19.2017, 06:35 PM   #73
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I agree with a lot of what guest has said about NIN. One of the few 'bands' I really really can't stand. Not so much for the industry politics but for the way they "posit themselves as something more"

You and I usually seem to see eye-to-eye on most things, but I'm gonna have to go ahead and be really mean and call you a bunch of names because I don't agree with this thing you just said. That's the internet way.

Nah man, I'm just kidding. I mean, I do call bullshit, because, again, what does this thing you hate have to do with the music that you profess to hate because of it? You're talking about a perceived attitude ABOUT the music from the guy who makes it. Does NIN "posit(ing) themselves as something more" turn up in he aural experience of listening to NIN's music? Can you hear that "positing" in the guitars and synths? Does it sound bad? If not, then... how the hell can that be a reason for really, really hating that music?

I don't necessarily disagree with your assertion that they "posit themselves as something more." I can see how you'd get this impression. Sure. I personally don't think NIN is any more guilty of this than most artists though. Have you ever heard Johnny Rotten talk about himself or his music? And he's really out there because he shits on past music even talking up what he's doing at the time. Covers it all with a nice slathering of sarcastic self-deprecation about how it's all rubbish just to make it not sound like clinical megalomania.

How about Neil Young? Dude is SO INTO his own music, and the worst thing about it is that he's not talking about Everybody Knows This is Nowhere. He's talking about that godawful EARTH live album with all the barnyard animals. He hung up on a music writer because he didn't believe the poor guy had "really" listened to that cow pie of an album... on a Pono player. I read the transcript. This writer was a Young SUPERFAN, and the dick hung up on him for an imagined slight to his (waning ... really terribly waning) artistic magnificence!

Egos are everywhere in popular culture. Kanye's Shakespeare in the flesh. U2 would slap you with a glove if you called them a pop group! How dare you? They are Ghandi! Even Richard D. James, my boyfriend, thinks he's in on some existential joke that the rest of the world doesn't even know exists. How dare you call him IDM? That implies other dance music is dumb (which he very clearly believes to be the case) but still, don't say stuff about which you know nothing!

It's everywhere, in every genre and every circle and every scene. But that doesn't mean the music is bad. Doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the music. So, not a great reason to hate music.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|