View Single Post
Old 01.19.2010, 09:22 PM   #88
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
the bumbershoot recording trumps the album in basically every way, as far as i'm concerned. still think so 10 years later. still kick myself for fucking up the tape flip and missing the beginning of 'nyc ghosts'.

i had such high hopes for the material when i saw that show and listened to that recording over and over, it was so reminiscent of their early material, just totally broken down song construction with all kinds of 'odd' techniques to treat the instruments. the finished album, though good, captures almost none of that initial promise, and basically is what it is.

some great songs on there, most of which sounded better on the subsequent tour ('lightnin' in particular remains one of my favorite SY encore tunes, especially when they stretched it to 10+ minutes).

i'm not sure i'll ever be able to listen to this album and not feel a little disappointed.
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|