View Single Post
Old 02.04.2016, 08:10 PM   #274
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
I don't think I am. I'm not saying the Beatles were the only influence, just that they absolutely had an influence. What's the problem here?

The problem is I asked for empirical evidence based on substantive music theory to support your claim. Otherwise you are being nothing more than a music critic which is to say sharing an OPINION. I am not judging your opinion so much as asking to fact check.

Quote:

Do you need me to tell you what key "She's so Heavy" is in? What the time signature is? Or have you just never heard it?

What I am asking is for you to connect this influence. Tell me a key, chord change, or timing structure that the Beatles innovated that as you claim other bands or artists then later implemented in their own music. THAT is what influence is according to music theory.

Quote:
And I'm not a Zep expert. Really, I'm not. But there are few bands I know as well as the Beatles. To me it seems like you're asking me to tell you what green and purple have in common. You're asking me to tell you about songs that (in my mind at least) everyone has heard thousands of times.

To elaborate on your analogy, I am asking you to get out your spectrometer or electron microscope and tell me the wavelength and atomic structures that differentiate purple from green.

Quote:
Just go listen to "I want you (she's so heavy)" and the other songs I mentioned, and if the influence on Zep isn't immediately noticeable, come back to me and we'll dig in more.

Do you think I have somehow never heard Beatles music before? I think you missed the individual trees for the forest.

Quote:
I'm not trying to be a dick here man.
Neither am i. Just trying to have a very very grown up conversation, I am even intentionally trying to be self conscious of my own tendency towards sarcasm to turn it down.

Quote:
so I don't want to embarrass myself by saying some thing stupid, and I don't really feel like looking up correlations between Zep and Beatles song structures for the sake of this debate.

I'm not asking you to get in over your head, I am asking you to do some homework.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|