View Single Post
Old 02.04.2016, 06:47 PM   #261
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Zeppelin is influenced by pure blues, i don't hear any Beatles in it. Not only were Floyd also clearly influenced by blues and soul, they clearly pioneered their OWN sound. Indeed be more specific. What chord structures, melody patterns, song patterns did Beatles TRULY innovate that other bands weren't already doing? Provide specific examples because frankly I'm not sure you can.

I am well aware that i am expressing an almost sacrilegious opinion BUT i honestly think people don't understand what "influence" means in the context of music theory.

I also mean NO DISRESPECT to the Beatles, i again mentioned i DO believe they are one of the most influential bands of all time HOWEVER as i said, i believe their influence is not in regards to the actual music but rather in influencing and inspiring other musicians to experiment and development their OWN original sounds and theories.

Do you play music? I been playing guitar for 15 years now.. i can "hear" as well as "add up (according to theory) the direct influence of a lot of bands, i just honestly don't hear it in Beatles music.

Yeah, I play. Started at age 12, so... Wow. Long time. But only seriously for a handful of years playing in bands in my 20's.

See, I think the Beatles influence on Zeppelin is pretty clear. You talk as though the Beatles didn't play the blues/were not themselves hugely influenced by R&B. Listen to "I Want You (She's so Heavy)" or "Oh Darling"... "She Came in through the Bathroom Window" would fit perfectly on Houses of the Holy.

If you strip all the layers back from the Beatles' songs, and replace the intricacies with sleazy fat bottom riffs, virtually any one of them could, conceivably, be turned into a Zeppelin song.

And that's nothing against Led Zeppelin. Not necessarily.

I'm not saying Zep didn't have their own unique variation on rock... I'm just saying the Beatles influenced them. And Floyd. Of course Floyd. Floyd even more so. In fact, the sound probably kind of split a bit, with Zep pushing for a more Stonesy sound and Flpyd trying to pick up where the Beatles left off. But both were massively influenced by the Beatles. Musically, conceptually, aesthetically, whatever your definition of influence is, the fact remains.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|