View Single Post
Old 01.08.2019, 08:12 AM   #23270
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antagon
Bird Box as well. I liked the premise, I just found the execution to be lacking. Bullock was fine in the lead. Didn't care much about the Malkovich character. At times it did build up some suspense, but things got bogged down by some poor stylistic decisions (like having a flashback to something that happened a few minutes ago, showing things that would have been more effective if left ambiguous etc.) and character development that wasn't completely unrelatable, but got pushed to comical extremes. There were also a few scenes that were supposed to be suspenseful, but made me chuckle instead. That's down to the stylistic decisions though. And yeah, gotta agree that it's very small screeny. Especially after having watched the series The Haunting Of Hill House shortly after, which has amazing sets, moody lighting and overall a great production value. Compared to that, Bird Box seems like a made-for-TV movie.

But the Haunting of Hill House had acting and writing that was so fucking terrible it threatened to ruin the entire thing.

I didn’t make the commitment to keep watching until we saw the creepy super tall guy walk-floating around using his cane like a Venetian pole. That was a legitimately fucking scary visual, and it made me say, “OK, this utterly atrocious acting and paint-by-numbers dialogue is worth suffering through for a creep-out like this... Hope there’s more!”

There kinda wasn’t really any more.

Very, very bad show. Just very stupid. But yes, pretty or whatever.

Can we talk about how Timothy Hutton is playing an “old” version of a guy who’s *maybe* five years younger? Y’knkw, to cover that 18-year difference or whatever? Instead of just using makeup, they cast two people who look almost nothing alike and are for all intents and purposes the same age to play the same person at entirely different periods in his life?

Dumb.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|