Thread: Mix Tapes
View Single Post
Old 05.23.2012, 07:50 PM   #556
hypertonic
bad moon rising

hypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
What exactly are degradation tricks......don't believe I've ever heard the term before?

Sometimes, when I have like a really snazzy synth sound, like too snazzy sounding for a lofi track, I record to tape, with a bit of reverb. Then play the recorded synth line (or whatever) through the mixer, with perhaps a bit more reverb , and record again to tape. And again to tape. So its like the 3rd or 4th generation recording. I dunno it gets pretty smeeary/tape saturation/very degraded sound. I'm just using the format to degrade the audio. I always like to say, "Want a new effect? Invent a new format." Not sure how much that pertains to this mixtape, but I'll prob still do something special... not sure yet.. I do love the tape format, and the effects it produces, and if anyone thinks they are out of fashion then they haven't been paying much attention!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmku
I don't know if you'd call it a trick or not but my tapes often have one song after another, in a row, on both sides of the tape.

yeah thats a good trick! except it doesnt work on my 4-trk/reel tape. Pretty weird hearing Thurston play boths sides of a tape at once tho! Blasphemy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLghost
I have a blank tape just sitting there, waiting. Except i have no tape deck to record with...

You could send a tracklist or upload the mix and have someone dub it to tape??
hypertonic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|