View Single Post
Old 03.13.2017, 06:31 PM   #132
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
I feel you, Ed Sheeran and J. Cole are seen as "real musicians" among the general public as well. I'm sure the casual listener considers both "more talented" than Kanye which is just sad.

Ed Sheehan! Yes! Whatever the fuck his whole thing is! That boring sweatshirt almost-rock! It's like, I'm supposed to "appreciate" that because he writes shitty, boring castrated songs and plays guitar (not even well! At roughly the level of 75% of the male college student population). Well, I'm really fucking sorry, but I think Rihanna is 100,000 times more interesting. Solange... maybe a million times more interesting.

The "every kid gets a trophy" generation has grown up and it's congratulating everyone for doing the bare minimum.

Aretha Franklin didn't write shit. Neither did Billie fucking Holiday! Or Nina Simone! Didn't write a fucking word! Are they all less talented, for singing other people's songs AWESOMELY and with transcendent gravitas than people who write songs and play them terribly? Fuck no!

Also... I don't think anyone thinks J. Cole is a musician. He's not a musician, unless I've really missed something. He's a rapper and vocal performer.

And Kanye may have plenty of haters (right here in this thread, and all over SYG, poor souls) but I'm pretty sure the critical consensus is that he's talented. People who hate him usually don't try to suggest that he lacks creative vision or talent for production. That would be insane. Also, he's literally the most celebrated artist of our time, so I really hope nobody thinks Ed Sheeran is more talented than Kanye. It's like comparing a sloth to a cheetah, though. I don't think anyone is quite that fucking stupid.

Anyway, whatever. You guys get my point. Listen to what you love! Have no shame! If you dig Avril, I am psyched for you. Legitimately. But I know a lot of people who like to suggest that people *like* Avril (who again I know almost nothing about), are superior to people like Beyoncé just because of the writing thing, and I say that's horseshit. Just absolute fucking horseshit.

Speaking of liking lam stuff though, I've had Fleetwood Mac's "Second Hand News" stuck in my head for like a WEEK, and it's been awesome! Terrible song, but I love it. Love it I say!

(Hahahaha ed Sheehan more talented than Kanye .... baaahahahaha! At what? Taking guitar classes? Writing songs for 15-year-old white people with Reagan values? Hahahahaha. Seriously that's too rich. Please tell me you haven't heard someone actually say that!)
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|