View Single Post
Old 10.09.2014, 02:15 PM   #1246
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
that mixtape is just a teaser for the album that will come out next month man, but seriously, it's already my fav project of the year.

with that said, i haven't been that fond of '14 releases so far. i really like Honest too, but Future could still do better in my opinion. he was trying to appeal to a wider audience and it hurt his creativity (yes i sorta think of Honest as a "sellout" album ).

Days Before Rodeo by Travis Scott is pretty damn good too. and i still appreciate Pinata, just never really have the urge to listen to it anymore. i feel like good rapping over nice beats isn't enough anymore, you gotta be creative, take some risks and step out of your comfort zone to make a really great rap album.

i'll check out some of the stuff you've mentioned that i haven't heard yet.

Travi$ Scott's one that I keep forgetting. Damn good.

I'm always talking about Pińata (or at least mentioning it in my list updates) but I rarely get the urge to listen to it anymore either.

For me the obvious heavyweight champ of the year so far is Cellar Door. If you add Blessings From the Grey and Conversations W/ a Butterfly into the mix, it's really one hell of a project. Underachievers blew the roof off with Cellar Door alone, but for anyone who thinks that album is a bit too "samey" (fast flows throughout, not a great deal of variation in dynamics) the solo mixtapes are a MUST. They give the project an extra dimension or two, and cover more sonic ground. I'm not sure why they didn't just lump it all together into a longer LP, or maybe a double. But I hope they reissue Cellar Door with a second disc containing the solo EP's before the year is over.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|