View Single Post
Old 03.08.2017, 11:21 AM   #163
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions

so yeah. They've officially fallen to the level where it's okay to include fucking emoji's in your prose.

They've been edging closer to that for some time. Remember when they rated Meow the Jewels (utterly absurd waste of time and energy and Kickstarter bandwidth that it was) with two cat emojis with hearts for eyes? As in, like... "Yeah, this album is a solid two cat faces with heart-eyes out of the number 10."

WHAT... FUCKING... THE?!!?! What was that? Two (random shit) of of 10 (points)? You can't have two cartoon cats out of ten fucking numerical value points. You can't have two tomatoes out of ten toothpicks either.

Ok, I'm getting off base here... but goddammit, I know it was a joke, but that's just not fucking funny. Math matters.

Anyway, this is a new low. That's not even a proper emoji. It's not even "current." That's some ASCII shit. Would it have been so hard to search the caverns of one's mind for a WORD that might work better? It could still be a meme, even. It could be "WTF," or "IDGAF." Or better yet, "C'est la vie!"

That stupid site used to be one of the only really accessible and high-traffic areas where people would talk about bands music that wasn't perma-painted on pop culture's collective consciousness. Where Pavement and Built to Spill and Slint were just as beloved as Nirvana. Where lists would take on the purpose of history lessons, teaching youngens about the value of the Minutemen, Sonic Youth, Hüsker Dü, Steve Albini, etc. Where music mattered, and pop culture trash was largely unrepresented. But now... Jesus man, I'm not even sure what to think. I think there's been a correlation between my growing older and the website being less interesting, more absurd, but I also think they took kind of a hard nosedive when they were purchased by Condé Nast.

In fact, you know, in the early '00s, I sent them a résumé. I really wanted to contribute to that site actually, and while the submitting I included never got published, I have, for years, entertained the thought of one day working for that website, if only on a freelance basis (who could stand to ONLY do that? What kind of journalist could survive ONLY on editiorials of zero consequence or significance?).

But at this point. Blargh. In fact just a couple days ago I saw a "Condé Nast is hiring" ad on their page. I stopped for a second, thought, "Eh, I'm good," and scrolled on by.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|