View Single Post
Old 11.20.2016, 01:09 AM   #19923
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Interesting. I wouldn't say I'm a Nolan fan, even though I do like most of his films. I wasn't even aware that he'd made Interstellar until it'd finished, and that's probably my favourite of his. Same with The Prestige, which I also really like. But I'd say even The Prestige, you could at least see the potential there for him to do his thing, whereas Dunkirk ... I'm not saying it'll be a bad film, just that I don't see where he can take it that'll qualify as 'Christopher Nolan territory'. But that only makes me more intrigued to see it than I would be about something more obviously in his zone.

I'm struggling to really compare him with another filmmaker, although I'd say Kubrick makes more sense to me than Spielberg, but only insofar as I can imagine him making something like 2001 or The Shining more than I can, say, Jaws or ET. But all filmmakers have their limits. I'm not generally a fan of Spielberg's more serious, 'adult' films. Not to say they're bad, just that I don't think they play to his strengths - and in some sense may even run counter to them. I wouldn't be surprised if that ends up being the case with Dunkirk. But again, that only makes me even more intrigued to see it, just because it'll give a better impression of what kind of filmmaker he is.

Hmm. Do me a favor?
Watch this video compilation of scenes from Nolan movies that use close-ups of hands.

"Hands of Nolan" (Vimeo)

Why the fuck would you do that?
It's actually quite powerful. I think it illustrates how attentive he is to detail, and how much thought he puts into giving his characters a unique and human presence, even in their most fleeting moments.

He's a very careful filmmaker, and he takes cues from the art, literature, music... his films are, to me, always a seamless integration of the solid and the abstract, but he goes to great lengths to ensure that his characters are authentic.

Much as I love the Dark Knight films, I think he can sometimes be written off because of them, but he used the exposure he gained from Batman Begins to make The Prestige. Dark Knignt lead to Inception. And so on. In other words, those are incredible movies, but I think he's more than that. I get the feeling that he's kind of making the rounds with genre films (Tarantino has done the same thing). Challenging himself to do every kind of film in a meticulous and beautiful way. He's done "comic book" undeniably better than anyone ever has or probably ever will, he's done space opera with a very grounded and human elegance, he's done noir and thriller. Now he's doing a war film. I think there's an element "Can I do it?" going into his decisions, because Dunkirk is certainly a major departure.

But I saw the teaser, and it was entirely silent, but Tom Hardy's deliberate gait as he walked toward the water, and the eerie sound of alarms ringing over soldiers' heads totally hooked me.

I say he'll make something positively striking. The guy deserves a Beat Director Oscar. I believe his films will be studied by future generations, and the fact that he happened to be the guy to do Batman was just extremely lucky for those of us who love Batman.

Watch that hand movie. Maybe it's just artsy bullshit, but to me it was really quite beautiful and enlightening.

Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|