View Single Post
Old 08.27.2014, 09:44 AM   #114
Bertrand
expwy. to yr skull

Bertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's asses
Rock en Seine festival 22-24 August, Paris

Day 1:
I missed Cage the Elephant whose gig was rescheduled due to the cancellation of another band; damn
Saw Mac DeMarco; the sound could have been better but the band was in a jolly mood and entertained their audience (Mac asking an audience member he had looked for from the beginning to join them onstage and do whatever he wanted - it turned out the party animal was not a complete moron and all went smoothly; crowdsurfing to the back row and back to the stage again on the last song - Still Together); enjoyable
Saw Arctic Monkeys; ok; I was far at the back, the festival takes place in a big park and all I could see were the big screens; so I watched television under an almost rainy sky

Day 2:
Giana Factory were ok
Thee Oh Sees unfortunately had a poor day; the sound was fucked, Dwyer was pissed; we couldn't hear his voice during the first half of the show; the old songs, these songs that were so good when played with Shoun-Dawson-Dammit! didn't deliver as much subtlety and fun; an exception: the new guys made Dead Energy their thing and it was as good as the sole new song (a heavy number) they played; still a disappointment
Cheveu; I didn't like them; they are or were hyped here; sounded like the new Philippe Katerine to me
Emilie Simon, French chanteuse, with an orchestra; I didn't expect much from her, I just came there to check on my friend's tastes, and I liked it; she played I Wanna Be Your Dog and made it her own, not trying to rock harder than she could
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcwURfkQUws (people talking during the clip)

Day 3:
Warpaint; I liked the rhythm section, but was nonplussed by the show; audience members being there for no particular reason, talking to one another all through the show, popping up completely drunk... pfff
Thurston Moore... that was really really great; the sound was good on that stage, and everything clicked; Deb Googe's great, and there was Steve... a really good moment
Stephen Malkmus & the Jicks were just ok; the set was too short on the schedule
QOTSA; I hadn't planned to stay till the end as I was coming to pieces but I remained there; they look like they could play for hours; I've only listened to one of their albums; their live version of No One Knows was awesome...

Amsterdam, 25 August
The Melkweg
Thee Oh Sees

Traumahelikopter opened; a threesome local punk band that rocked, I digged their show
Thee Oh Sees...
The opposite of what had taken place in Paris: the sound was perfect, Dwyer was pleased to be there.
It was my first time in Amsterdam, therefore my first at the Melkweg, and it's a beautiful place; being 5 feet 3 in a giants country, I stood at the balcony and enjoyed a great show
They started with something that sounded new to me, carried on with Tidal Waves, The Dream, I Come from the Mountain, Lupine Dominus and Toe Cutter before getting into newer stuff
The new stuff sounds darker, heavier; the Dream was even more menacing
Lots of crowdsurfing in the pit, up to 3 people simulteanously flowing about
The best part was during Dead Energy (the new bass player's been incredible all through the show), when a beautiful girl in a striped t shirt was carried at arms lenght for a while, gracefully
The band were so happy Dwyer and his guys played a song they hadn't tried on public before
A great great show
Vermeer and Pieter de Hooch and Frans Hals were also great, but that was 17th century art at the Rijksmuseum
So nice all that
Bertrand is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|