View Single Post
Old 09.09.2013, 11:06 PM   #57
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Mortte Jousimo again.

Too that I can actually agree with you completely. Those studio versions, particularly the final mix are very shitty. Kraemer is a great engineer, but a terrible producer. It is often, muddled, over-done, or worse, muted. The instrumentation isn't balanced, the bass is too low, and the drums aren't always clean. However, here is my bias, I listen to most LIVE Hendrix from post-1968, which is exclusively Billy Cox. THAT is why I dig the Billy-Mitch-Jimi chemistry. I agree with you, in the studio material we have, it didn't translate well, and I can see what you mean. However, if we compare LIVE material from 1967 and 1970 its miles apart in Jimi's creativity, self-reflective expression, and charisma shining through. Of course, part of this is the natural progression of experience, Jimi honed his stage-persona and craft from his shyer, almost awkward self of the earlier 1960s. By 1970 simply put, Jimi was a bluesman on par with Ottis, Leadbetter, and Chuck Berry all rolled into one.. I think Billy helped make this happen. Its clear that Jimi had personal tension with Noel, othewise they wouldn't have kicked out Noel in such an admittedly ugly way. Further, it was clear that Jimi had tension with Buddy Miles too. After 1968 when Jimi brought back his original band mate and friend in Billy, it seems he had a real ally, a real friend, and in the circle of vultures that surrounded Jimi constantly, a sincere friend was much needed release. Jimi and Billy and Mitch seemed to get along personally which is what gave freedom in their improvs and jamming versions of live material. All the best Hendrix shows in my opinion, are after Woodstock when Jimi discovered this chemistry. Interestingly, I always though Jimi should have kept the second rhythm guitarist from Woodstock, that performance is literally one of Hendrix's all time best, I feel because he had a rhythm guitar player which when you listen allowed jimi to get more creative on his leads and solos. Of course, Jimi clashed with that guy Lee too, and the only guy they brought back was Jumma on the congos..
All I have to add this is I really love also live recordings with Noel & Mitch. Here´s for example great tune from Hendrix In the west that I don´t think is no less great than the later performances with Cox & Mitchell:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWPStzyEqNc

And yeah, I really also like Woodstock when there is another guitar. Sadly Lee´s guitar is mostly out of tune and not heard almost at all (this out of tune bring interesting sounds into Spanish Castele magic although I don´t think it was originally the meaning).
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|