View Single Post
Old 05.22.2006, 03:30 PM   #49
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
CHUCK BERRY IS ROCK N ROLL

aretha franklin sang gospel and soul

little richard IS ROCK N ROLL> he will tell you himself. he ROCKED. he had girls panties wet with his gyrating and piano playin'. he was ROCKIN.

I read several books on the history of popular music in america. I have read about how so much comes from the Blues, which is dead on right. However, I also read that after the original wave of rock n roll (early to mid 50's), once the anglo masses got into it, the african-american population sought something else, leaving a gaping hole. Where once the pioneers of this music we call rock were largely african-american, the mainstays of it became younger white males.
african american culture sprang up new things. it combined church music with rhythm & Blues and created soul. It combined soul and rock and psychedelics and created funk. It combined all musics and beats and boasts and created hip hop.
it seems to me that innovation in this country, at least in popular music, is led by the minorities seekingt to create something new for themselves, which, as we all know, then gets assimilated by the popular mass culture. (co-opted may be too strong a word)

I once heard a comedian talking about this. I think it was eddie griffin. he was talking about why is it that when black kids do something outrageous in culture or music, white kids have to come around and take it over the top. his example was , hip hop ganstas rap about pimpin and drugs and the streets and gang-banging, scaring people, and thn white kids come around with music about "I love satan!, death to all!, kill em all!, satan!, god is dead!, hate hate hate!, anger! rage!"

which is totally true. it makes me laugh.

rock n roll is, or was originally about, fucking. rock n roll means to fuck. Muddy waters sang it in ROCK ME - "rock me baby rock me all night long. rock me baby, like my back ain't got no bone." That is the driving force in rock music.

even today, half of the music is hedonistic about fucking and sex and eating pussy and good stuff like that, and half is rage and anger and sadness and bitterness about NOT fucking and sex and eating pussy.

Joan Jett rocked, and still rocks. she loves eating pussy and she knows that to ROCK properly, it is not about affecting a pose, or pretending yougot a cock, but you have to feel that propulsive, shall I say "masculine" force. the better female rockers (PJ Harvey, Tori Amos(yes you can rock with a piano), Kim Gordon, Kim Deal, Exene, Courtney Love (if you like her,which I do not), etc.) all have this in them, whether it is a stage persona or their actual selves.

rock on everyone.