View Single Post
Old 12.05.2018, 12:35 PM   #401
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
I'm actually a huge folk music fan. I have always had folk groups alongside my rock groups because it's an area that is important to me to explore both as a listener and a player. To me Wilco isn't exactly folk music by a long stretch but I think I hear you're getting at. it's more just a surprise thing for me how many people I know with adventurous taste that seem to rate this band that to me has shot straight down the middle of the road their entire career, even when they are supposedly branching out sometimes. Just one person's take. That's all.

You should look into Mermaid Avenue, their Guthrie covers records with Billy Bragg. That’s classic folk music stuff.
And their first album is contemporary folk/alt-Country

But yeah, most of it isn’t proper folk.

Personally my favorite Wilco album is “A Ghost is Born,” which has some wild shit on it. Not wild like early SY or fucking Throbbing Gristle or some shit, but wild for a band that made its name with sort of middling indie folk.

The only albums I really return to are that, “Yankee Hotel Foxtrot” because I was in college and the right demographic for that when it came out, and “Being There,” which hits the spot from time to time.

Live, they play a mean, feedback-drenched show. Like SY doing Americana. Only definitely not as good.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|