View Single Post
Old 10.12.2007, 02:16 PM   #161
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Although I like BOSS, all the comparisons to No Wave and Sonic Youth are pretty stupid. I've always seen No Wave as a movement, not a sound and not some romantic notion of a mentality. Why does a band seen as challenging have to name check No Wave to death to be seen as worthwhile? Seriously, when cred becomes more important to people than the music itself then you surely deserve the title of Hipster. Read that last review, there's more nostalgia in there that I can stand and I'm fairly confident that if you plucked out "Magik Markers" it would still make sense.

And also BOSS isn't that amazing of a rock album. Much of the songs have a painfully predictable verse-chorus structure which seems dubious for a band that was acclaimed for improv skronking. And no, it isn't radical that band "spits" on its own image by becoming predictable. It's rather annoying that the vocal melodies on "Axis Mundi," "Four/The Ballad of Harry Andstrom," and "Circle" are the same with little variation.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|