View Single Post
Old 07.26.2016, 12:10 PM   #65
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
ahhh i miss the days on SYG where an otherwise intelligent discussion about linguistics devolves into a trolling battle about philosophy and quantum mechanics

Lolz. Yeah, I wasn't around for that, but it sounds pretty awesome.

Really any discussion of linguistics necessitates a discussion of different philosophies and methods of data gathering — ethnographic/anthropological, neuroscientific — but I never delved very deep into that stuff when I was masquerading as an academic. Because... y'know... linguistics is hard.

I'm actually a little terrified of the scientific study of linguistics. Not language, which is in itself quite a bit more direct, but the cognitive basis of language mechanics, and the reductive study of aptitude for sound creation and mimicry that is variable by culture and region. Yikes.

Blah blah. This is why I left grad school. Ima go write a review of Star Trek now
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|