View Single Post
Old 03.23.2018, 09:27 AM   #22358
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
satire? All I saw was a boring fucking story about a loser and his fucking relationship problems. I hate those kinds of movies. I find them pointless suffering and not funny.
noooo! you were supposed to laugh! lololol

unless you sell water beds—then it’s serious business

the story wasn’t pointless. the characters were. the story was about the futility of the average american life, a critique of normality, the emptiness of suburban life, the ridiculousness of being an emotional incompetent, of following along what you’re expected to do,. etc. etc. “everything that you’ve done all your life is shit”. get a mouthful of ashes.

the movie had a philosophical point, which was a critique of middle class values and conformity. all done with great bitterness and irony. and yes, the point is made through characters and “relationships,” but “relationships” are not the point of the movie— this wasn’t a soap opera at all. this was a red hot poker up middle america’s ass.

anyway, not your kind of movie, i get it, but i just wanted to defend the movie from what i see as a mischaracterization.

as for the movie’s real weak points, i’d say maybe it looks down too much on its characters and fails to recognize the potential virtues of the culture it portrays, but then it would not be a satire, but something else.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|