Thread: Evol
View Single Post
Old 11.23.2008, 05:21 PM   #30
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by batreleaser
evol was the first sonic youth record that gave us a full glimpse of what the band was really all about.

I totally disagree with that statement (and I love the record). Evol gave us a full glimpse of the pop side of the band that would become increasingly important and thematically integrated the pop culture side of things they'd been flirting with on stage for over a year.

However, Bad Moon Rising and Confusion is Sex are every bit as much what the band is "really all about" and they have returned to that side of their music just as frequently through the years. It's just that the Silver Sessions and SYR 3 don't exactly connect with as big of an audience Goo and Sonic Nurse. Doesn't make it any less of what the band is about.

I loved Evol when it came out in 1986 and I still do today. Bad Moon Rising was and is my favorite album ever, and I was relieved they had the good sense to go in a completely different direction rather than try to remake perfection.

As the years go by, I find my favorite track to return to is "In the Kingdom #19", perhaps because it is less of a blueprint for many Sonic Youth songs to come than "Starpower" and "Shadow of a Doubt" were (though I still love them too).
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|