View Single Post
Old 03.03.2015, 08:54 PM   #38178
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antagon
Well, it wasn't a concrete concept from the get-go but I usually showed films inspired by German Expressionism first and then a random choice for the second one. It's sort of a Goth-event, not completely though (I play a blend of Post-Punk, Goth-Rock, Art Rock, 90s Angst, Synthpop, Shoegaze and some Soul and Blues). I've discovered that 1920s German Expressionist cinema goes incredibly well with my musical choices but it's not exclusive. Anything that is horror-inspired (but not exactly what one would call horror by today's standards), features surreal imagery, a playfully macabre production design or nice chiaroscuro lighting is fair game. Could even be a more modern film, as long as it fits the bill. I just tend to gravitate towards black and white films with a fascinatingly antiquated but creative look to them. Bonus points for subtitles (Another reason, why German Expressionist films were a prefered choice of mine during the first two gigs).

My former choices:

First gig:
1) Das Cabinet Des Dr. Caligari
2) Castaway On The Moon

Second gig:
1) The Man Who Laughs
2) The Seventh Seal

Appreciate your help by the way!

Not exactly what you're asking for but Kenneth Anger's Inauguration of the Pleasure Dome might work really well. More art nouveau than goth, and very colourful, but definitely has the surreal weirdness you might be after.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMbKU9aU9vA
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|