Thread: Girls Rock! DC
View Single Post
Old 08.16.2009, 11:59 PM   #6
notyourfiend
expwy. to yr skull

notyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitemusic
I just don't think there should be a "school" about that. They should learn it from their friends or on their own. It's basically leading down the road where rock is like jazz in schools and only band geeks like it. And I don't like that thought at all (and this is coming from someone with at least a moderate appreciation for jazz).

I think more girls should be into rock. Real rock, this seems to me that it will lead to shit like Paramore, not good stuff. Because if they don't already know it and don't learn it from the real world, how is a school going to really teach them how to be themselves? I think more girls should play the guitar or other instruments in general that aren't traditional for girls, but I don't think this is the right way to do it, like sway said, basically.

A point of the whole thing though is that most girls feel too discouraged to pick up guitars because rock music continues to be a sausage fest. 99% of female rock icons seen by girls are beauty queens. Girls often loose the motivation to get themselves out there because they are told that they are worthless. I'm not just speaking for myself, I'm speaking for tons and tons of women I have spoken to in the past few years.

Girls Rock necessarily won't teach girls how to play their instruments well. But the product is not the point. The camp lets girls realize that they too can play music and that it can be fun. It's also a place where girls learn to work together (rather than compete) with other girls.

Another thing to remember is that a lot of the girls that these rock camps cater towards would not otherwise have the means to access instruments, form bands etc. Girls Rock camps make efforts to cater towards a diverse demographic.

notyourfiend is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|