Thread: Aphex Twin
View Single Post
Old 04.28.2006, 02:07 PM   #37
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by tramp-arse
...I read somewhere, forget where now, that that particular piano peice (recorded/created by computer program) is impossible for a single human to play as it consists of so many parts. Not stunning when you consider most music on record is impossible for one man to play, but when you dont think about it, at the age of 17, it is....yes
...& not stunning or impressive at all considering that Frank Zappa made an electronic album impossible for human musicians to play way back in 1986 with Jazz From Hell.

what about musicians that play actual instruments like no other human can play like Bud Powell or Art Tatum on piano? or John Coltrane's later tenor or even some of his earlier alto saxophone playing?

I don't like to listen or dance to techno, no matter how "innovative" & "creative" it supposedly is, although I do admit that Aphex Twin's music is far more listenable than most techno house/dance or ambient electronic stuff. David Bowie's electronic works are okay, because they also feature his distinct voice. Call me old fashioned, if you must. In addition to many bands I could go on to enumerate, I like a tribal drum sound or even actual African mbira music for dancing. I think I'm old enough to remember the disco era & the defrocking of real music more than most of you. On one last quasi-related note, when Thurston was asked about electronic music in a SPIN interview, he stated that he absoutely detested everything about NIN & found some of Elastica "interesting." I don't know why he complemented Elastica because they always ripped off their own songs; Maybe that's what interested him... haha.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|