View Single Post
Old 06.03.2010, 03:34 AM   #32
Count Mecha
100%

Count Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy
My theory is that every band member has to have similar tastes in music to make the band work (So for example emo influenced drummer doesn't always argue with folk singer/guitarist). Additionally, I think most bands work best when they either have a designated leader who has majority of the say and writes most of the songs (A Black Francis or Stephen Malkmus) or where it's band members each writing their own songs (Mission of Burma, Dinosaur Jr, Husker Du, etc). Just my opinion, anyway.

I certainly think all of those things are true. In Queen Arthur, yeah sure all three of us liked some of the same music, like say Velvet Underground, or the Who. But in terms of the music we wanted to play, none of us had the same direction in mind. In my real band Moonwatcher, the band is basically me and another guy. And our tastes are fairly different, I'm engaged by more esoteric (to most anyway) stuff like Boredoms or Sun City Girls. And he's really into older stuff like Roy Orbison and The Eagles. But it's also very easy for us to find a common ground. So that helps a whole lot.

I think both of those theories are very valid. In my case, the band works to where the members just write their own songs work them into the framework of the band.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy
My twin brother is a great guitarist, but wants to do too many solos. He wants to be the star of the show, have everybody in the audience looking at him, that sort of guitarist. Our friend too is a great guitarist, but wanted his guitar to be the loudest, to the point where I could barely hear my guitar.

Oh boy do I know both of these kinds of guy. We have an essentially part-time member in the band and he plays guitar. He doesn't really know how to play any sort of rhythm but damn does he love to solo. I had Speech class with him in college and he'd always be reading guitar books on scales and stuff. He's good and all, but it's all he does and he does it way too much. And he always makes sure his guitar is the loudest if we play live, or even in practice. It wouldn't even bother me that much if it didn't take the energy out of the songs. But whatever, I wish he would just sing, I like it when he does that.

Count Mecha is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|