View Single Post
Old 06.03.2010, 02:08 AM   #28
Jeremy
100%

Jeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's asses
Nice post Count Mecha, I enjoyed reading it quite a bit.

My theory is that every band member has to have similar tastes in music to make the band work (So for example emo influenced drummer doesn't always argue with folk singer/guitarist). Additionally, I think most bands work best when they either have a designated leader who has majority of the say and writes most of the songs (A Black Francis or Stephen Malkmus) or where it's band members each writing their own songs (Mission of Burma, Dinosaur Jr, Husker Du, etc). Just my opinion, anyway.

Not really a long existence, but I jammed with a few friends a couple times and while fun, it was a total mess. It was last year.... It was myself, twin brother, and a guy we had known since middle school (About four years) on guitars..... One of our friend's friends on bass, and dork they knew from school on drums. Their drummer was a laughing stock, the kind of guy who tries to hang out with you even though he's really uncool. Drummer was awful, got tired easily, and could barely do 4/4 without fucking up. Bass player was great, though.

My twin brother is a great guitarist, but wants to do too many solos. He wants to be the star of the show, have everybody in the audience looking at him, that sort of guitarist. Our friend too is a great guitarist, but wanted his guitar to be the loudest, to the point where I could barely hear my guitar. So we thought of a few riffs to jam upon, yet even though myself and my brother tried to arrange some stuff, it never turned into anything other jams with the riffs while all of us taking turns playing solos. Like Count Mecha, I tried to get some indie rock thrown in but it was always either "Loud riff" or "Quiet riff then turn on distortion". It was fun to jam, but that was it, just guys jamming out and having fun, nothing serious.

~Jeremy~

Jeremy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|