View Single Post
Old 01.21.2018, 08:30 PM   #4887
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
I’ve missed a lot.

But I think it’s obvious that Lovecraft’s ideas have inspired some of the best works of horror and science fiction. His writing is not great literature, but it’s still great... I suppose the B movie comparison works, but I think it’s a bit harsh.

I think we can all agree that it’s the ideas behind his stories that make Lovecraft’s the true father of horror. It’s genuinely scary shit. The writing might not be top tier, butthe effect of the writing makes it great.

Very few writers can truly scare me. Lovecraft is one of them. And it creeps up on you. “The Picture in the House,” though short and simple, struck me like a bolt of lightning. The ominousness with which the threat is built up and conveyed to the reader is excellent. When I finished it, I just sat there for at least 10 minutes, meditating on the genuine fear I had experienced. It triggered a visceral response, so... I say it’s good shit.

Lovecraft’s work is not trash culture (like B-movies). It’s legitimately successful at what it sets out to do, which is to terrify.

I also think it has some merit philosophically. He fact that this man whose work focused so much on the infinitesimal smallness of man has terrified and inspired generations of horror writers says a great deal about the archetypal fears of human beings. It’s some primordial shit.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|