View Single Post
Old 09.12.2014, 08:01 PM   #16
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
Uhhh... Shit, I guess I'm finally "popular opinion" on something! I LOVE The Woods' sound, which for all its massive obliterating might is rather natural, really - the explosion of taking (almost) everything to the max, not the product of artificial digital distortion like in Iggy Pop's 1997 remix of Raw Power. It's kinda impressive, in fact, that people still wonder whether the copy they got of the final Sleater-Kinney album may be "defective", 36 years (!) after The Modern Dance and 46 (!!) after White Light/White Heat, among other "there's noise all over this, you better check your masters" landmarks.
Sorry my SK brotha, I love analog recording particularly of distorted guitar more than probably anyone on the forum but there is a world of difference between "lo-fi" and simply a "shit mix down".. on the Woods its not the recording quality itself that upsets me, its the totally unbalanced mix down. The guitar levels are continually off and dont match each other and the vocals sound muted half the time and blaringly too loud on others! To be sure, I still lovre this record and had it #3 on my SK rankings but whenever I listen to it I cant help but wonder how much better it could have been with a more balanced mix down. Again, its not about lo-fi vs overproduced, its not about analog vs digital, its about shit mixing vs balanced mixing. As we woulld say live on stage to the soundboy in the dancehall, "said I don't want no ice cream sound cuz its too soft for me," concluded with, "ring the alarm, another song is dying."

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|