View Single Post
Old 12.20.2013, 11:06 AM   #1387
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
by the way, i still listen to Trap Lord all the time.

such a dope and unique album. i used to think that Ferg sucks after his verse on Ghetto Symphony, he surprised the hell outta me.

I was just bumping this earlier this week all the more remembering why I don't bump this dude frequently. Its not the worst rap, its just got too much of what I don't like going on all the time. Same thing with Kendrick, its not necessarily bad (though the obvious biting of Talib Kweli's style/delivery gets old fast) on its own, its just at the same time not really that great. I think MC TREE is the best soul-trap, he sincerely gets it. Its not about necessarily being gangsta, just street and hustlin.. Ferg be trying to come across as "hard" and in the post-1990s rap world its sort of like trying to be a Karl Malone tough-guy in the 2010s NBA. Dudes will just look at you do your tough guy shit and swish all kinds of shots running in circles around you. 1990s tough guy rap was cool for its time, but it was part of a certain era were authentic low-lives happened to get big-time rap contracts and air-play, by the 2000s these folks seemed a bit out of place or touch, and a more "artistic" side of hip-hop returned to the mainstream. Its probably a direct result of the soul/conscious rap era from 1998-2004 when rappers like Outkast, Common, Black Star, The Fugees,Tribe Called Quest, Dilated Peoples, even a mellower version of DJ Quik were putting out records that were NOT about being tough guys. This shift towards conscious and soul rap I think has permeated all elements of the post-2004 era..

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|