View Single Post
Old 05.10.2009, 04:57 AM   #20
summer
stalker

summer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by swa(y)
i agree with ya, on some level. i also agree though that there is plenty of music/sound out there that is AMAZING that totally lacks in "pop hooks". merzbow, early black dice, DNA, prurient, some butthole surfers, most ghoul detail...some people just enjoy the weird/experimental side of things. some people enjoy abrasive sounds that grab them by the throat and throw them to the floor. some people like drones they can get lost/meditate in....
Yeah and see I'm one of those persons. I don't know much of drone music, but the little I've heard, I adore. I didn't say ALL music needs a pop hook, just, unless you are VERY damn good at writing music that is driven more by atmosphere than melody, then don't even attempt to do so, you know?

There is a place for both, really. Just depends in what mood you're in. I think if there is a person who listens to only atmosphere-driven music, or only pop-driven music, then that kind of person is sort of sheltered musically. I think I've said this before on this board, but I think My Bloody Valentine's Loveless is the perfect blend of both worlds, and it would be nice to find more music like that (not a Loveless sound-a-like, just something with the same marriage there.)

Then again that's the reason A Thousand Leaves is my favorite Sonic Youth album soooo... haha

summer is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|