View Single Post
Old 12.13.2014, 01:47 PM   #663
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
The girlfriend and I finally got a chance to check this out.
Two days later,
all but 2 episodes devoured in mesmerized late night viewing sessions.
Beginning to question solidity and reality of own existence; symptoms of paranoid schizophrenia beginning to appear in both of us.

God damn this is a brilliant mother fucking show.

Ok, finished the first season.

I won't lie; there were some tears. I can't imagine what will transpire in the second series, and I don't even really want to think about it. I need to let this one simmer in my subconscious for a while...

I could tell based on the first advertisements for this show that it would get to me. You know, I'm always drawn to films, literature and television shows that address the relationship between “good” and “evil” within the context of the individual. Anything else, any hero story that infuses the protagonist in light, while portraying the antagonist as the embodiment of evil is nothing more than fantasy. (Not that there's anything wrong with fantasy, mind you. It has its place, and I adore it as a vehicle for more simplistic story telling.)

This show paint no pretty pictures... Of anything. The fact that the hero is a bitter, broken, manipulative nihilist with no mercy, and a conscience that has accepted violence and sin as a means to an end.... And the fact that he's the sane one.. Well, it makes for a powerful narrative.

I'm always late to the party because I haven't owned a working TV in years. But over the past decade I've basically only found 3 U.S. shows that have really grabbed me. Lost, Breaking Bad & True Detective.

... What's this Black Mirror y'all are talking about?
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|