View Single Post
Old 06.05.2011, 05:19 PM   #90
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
what;s the merzbient box? I got the merzbox, 24 hours of seals (4 discs), and 13 japanese birds (which is 14 discs, actually).

I have over 100 merzbow albums, I love him actually. Especially his drumming.

I probably said earlier, but MAMMAL is my shit. Just amazing. Get everything Mammal has done. It has some really weird decaying guitar shit mixed with some odd harsh fast drum machine pounding. But its intense as fuck.

I really like that one guy, Xlinsupreme too, who has some noisey shit but mixes it with actual riffing and drum machine and keyboards and stuff. Yellow Swans, also... basically, I like the more hybridized "noise" guys, the ones who aren't afraid to insert "musical" loops/sounds into their stuff.

I also really like the "cut-up" noise stuff, like Gastric Female Reflex and Brian Ruryk (who is a rad dude). GFR is really interesting, it's basically a bunch of really really short clips of different things cut up and put together.. a woman screams segueing into a gun shot distorted seguing into children laughing that keeps getting more and more intense and then you hear a church organ and then a telephone ring. Just shit like that. Really weird and entertaining..

Ruryk is basically a guy who beats the FUCK out of an acoustic guitar. He records a left speaker track of it and a right speaker track of it. The "interplay" between speakers is always really interesting. At times, it resembles a Bill Orcutt or a Derek Bailey that's 10000x more intense and fucked-up. It's amazing what he does with an acoustic guitar, clanging and banging.. ripping off strings, going at them with different tools, smashing his guitar (!), etc. No effects. Just "acoustic-based" noise of the highest order, the 6 tape set CYCLE OF FORDS is the best "noise" release I own. Supernice guy, too, I got him to do a soundtrack for me for my next film, which I feel bad since I haven't worked on it much (only have 10 minutes completed), I really want to release it so people can hear his bizarre soundtrack (with contributions from uuuuuu on the sdtrk too heheh!).

OH YEAH... the king of noise: RUNZELSTIRN AND GURGELSTOCK. Get everything you can by them/him. By far the most fucked-up stuff I've ever heard. Yes, even more fucked-up than Caroliner. More fucked-up than a Peter Sotos spoken word album. More fucked-up than DOG POUND FOUND SOUND (2 hours of dogs crying and moaning and barking and panting). I guess everyone should check out Caroliner too, I wouldn't call them "Noise" though some of their stuff definitely isn't "music" by typical definition, a LOT of their stuff sounds like an old redneck woman screaming over a detuned banjo while tons of weird little snippets of other instruments float around the mix... sometimes they flat-out noise it up, though. One of my favorite bnads ever, either way.

Finally, I LOVE Black Mayonnaise, which some people call doom/sludge. It is more close to doom/drone/sludge/etc but it is so underproduced in spots and the riffs are SO low and crackly and decayed and noisey, and the vocals are just something else. It's kinda super-slow-noise-sludge. It's hard to explain but it's topnotch.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|