View Single Post
Old 07.27.2015, 12:24 PM   #18851
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
see where i see both directors at different ends is how the trope of the outdated cowboy in ford serves as a call to serve whatever institution for the greater glory of some sort of legal fiction with claims of immortality beyond the individual.

Ford definitely sees the cowboy as serving a greater good (civilisation: law; government; church; family; towns) then disappearing once that greater good is in place. It runs through all his westerns. So while there's lots of blurring of boundaries, it seems that Peckinpah represents a modern vision (emphasising social alienation) while Ford represents a classical one (emphasising social harmony). For me, Ford's treatment of his subject is more profound than Peckinpah's, even though I'm probably more aligned with Peckinpah's politics. Although not entirely.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|