View Single Post
Old 07.27.2015, 08:18 AM   #18846
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
ideologically i like ford very little. visually/technically he made incredible stuff. but he's more of a different century-- he's naive, he seems to believe in rah rah america and manifest destiny. he's great but i see his movies as a dated cultural artifact. even searchers where he supposedly criticizes western stereotypes... i kind of don't think so. i read it as "these are the ugly men we have in the frontier SO THAT we can have our nice homes." bit like jack nicholson's dialogue in "a few good men."

I don't disagree, I just have less of a problem with it, perhaps because I'm not an American so don't have to deal with the reality of Ford's ideological crap on a day-to-day basis.

Quote:
wild bunch is more of a.... am i going to say this?... an existentialist movie. he deals in death and absurdity-- not just absurd situations but in the absurdity of human cruelty... those children, damn. (and i've seen the same children outside of a movie).

I wouldn't say it's any more existential than The Searchers and in many ways, in spite of Ford's and Peckinpah's political differences, even their ultimate message is similar - albeit coming from quite different perspectives.

Quote:
i think i haven't seen woman in black... will have to look that up

It's very good. On the surface it feels like the older Hammer stuff but definitely not a pastiche. And far darker than anything from the Christopher Lee/Peter Cushing era.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|