View Single Post
Old 06.25.2008, 02:09 PM   #1266
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Two of my all-time favourite books and one I'm not aware of - what's this Hanh chappy about?

For posterity, I'm re-reading Kierkegaard's Concluding unscientific postscript and Morty Feldman's collected writings, amongst my dipping in-and-out of Eliot/ Pound.

Love the Eliot too. Getting a lot more into reading again lately.

Gotta change my mind before it burns out

I found some Eliot the other day that I forgot I even had, some Collected Poems. On a side note, I strongly recommend his "Choruses From the Rock" for any among us here that are psychologically/spiritually troubled.

I've heretofore maintained an affinity for Either/Or Part I, but these days Part II speaks, well, volumes; there's simply no philosopher as astonishingly insightful as Kierkegaard. I recently finally read Johannes Climacus too.
And Saint Augustine is always worthy of numerous re-readings; I'm getting much more out of it this time around.

Understanding Our Mind was originally published as Transformation at the Base in 2001. The edition I have is from '06 and is put out by Parallax Press (United Buddhist Church). Hanh is a Vietnamese Buddhist monk and the text is derived from a series of talks he gave years ago. It's based on Abhidharma and Mahayana teachings and explores a re/deconstruction of fifty sacred Buddhist verses concerning "a turning of the Dharma." So far, I've found the commentary useful in managing stress. The book is a gift from a friend, so I'm more or less obligated, I suppose, to read it.

Thanks much for your reply, Glice.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|