View Single Post
Old 05.08.2017, 01:29 PM   #21025
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDom
it seems I'm in a minortiy when it comes to not liking Solaris very much. The lady and I did a Space Race double feature the other day of 2001 and Solaris. I almost hate saying it but 2001 totally takes the cake as the better film, even though I feel more connected to Tarkovsky's way of thinking. 2001 just works better as a whole. Curious to know how others feel about the two very similar films.

I agree with you,and I'm a much bigger Tarkovsky fan than I am a Kubrick one. I find with Tarkovsky there's a point in all of his films where they either grab me or they don't. Mirror grabbed me, Stalker, Rublev, but not Solaris. No bearing on anything but I've read that Tarkovsky didn't like it either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
I have no idea what could be wrong with Soderbergh's SOLARIS. It's different enough from the original to justify its existence and to be judged on its own terms. He's made a few duds, but I never considered this one of them. For one thing, the acting is outrageously good. Plus, Clooney's butt.

I'm with you. I think there's a snobbery that Hollywood simply can't/mustn't compete with the 'Great European masters'. Soderbergh's Solaris is no masterpiece, but nor is Tarkovsky's. I enjoyed Soderbergh's more though.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|