View Single Post
Old 01.05.2015, 11:20 AM   #18420
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
hey! nothing wrong with shadows and fog! great filmed play. and while alice is not up there with the best ones it's a good movie and also funny.

great observations there about his transition from stand-up to making humor part of the characters.

i'm going to have to rewatch manhattan again.

and don't worry guys, that new york no longer exists. started disappearing with giuliani and now it belongs to lena dunham & many finance bros.

---

anyway, yesterday i finally watched:

THE WIND RISES (MIYAZAKI, 2014). Well, fuck, he is done with films. Hard to judge this in those terms except to say it's a fitting end. a biopic that deals with the nature of creativity, a final display of his obsession with flying machines (Howl, Laputa, Porco Rosso, etc), and a supersad love story fit for La Traviata. Is it his "best" movie? Not sure anything can take the crown from the masterpiece that is Spirited Away, and this is different from what we've come to expect from the guy, but if you put aside your expectations and just watch the movie it is pretty great. Structurally maybe a bit jumbled as it hops ahead in years with the protagonists growing up, but where it excels is in the visuals and that inimitable Miyazaki magic. God damn, I'm going to miss the guy.

ps- werner herzog dubs one of the characters (we recognized him instantly and couldn't stop laughing).
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|