View Single Post
Old 01.05.2015, 05:53 AM   #18416
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
My criticism of Annie Hall now seems overstated, but I did make it in the belief that it's still a brilliant film, just not quite as brilliant as it seemed when I first fell in love with it in my teens. Whereas Manhattan seems to have aged even better, perhaps because as I've gotten older its exploration of mid-life crises seems even more resonant than it did when I first saw it. I loved it then but, upon re-watching it the other day, I came to the realisation that I hadn't quite got it before. Plus I'm now more able to get some of the more literary jokes that, in my teens, sounded impressive but I never quite understood.

Either way, while I've not seen a lot of his more recent stuff, I agree that his 'middle period' (if we can call it that) stands up to any filmmaker from that era.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|