View Single Post
Old 10.04.2012, 03:17 PM   #1256
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
I didn't know any names at that show Stu is going to I youtubed EVERY band because usually I NEVER know any of the bands SYG folks post so I thought I'd chec em all out to find some new tunes..

the only thing I could even remotely tolerate was Zeni Geva and even that I thought sucked! The Oxbow Orchestra was sort of cool, sounds even like the kind of jam bands I play around with in town, but just like that, sounds like some small scale local band who hasn't cut their teeth enough to put out seriously moving art yet, but are stuck in the demo stage. JK Flesh sounds like some terrible FruityLoops mix.. Doomsday Student was ok in a kind thrashy Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention way. Gnod was cool, but I couldn't imagine listening to more than a few minutes of it at a time, and I can sit through just about any 37 minute Grateful Dead drums solo section I think I could dig Grey Hairs if guy didn't remind too much of Adam Sandler if he were in the Descendents.. Mother Trucker was like some heavy shoegaze, I can dig it since instrumental stone rock is just about what I love to play in bands with, sort of like early Chevelle so I just might check out more of this, indeed it sounded about as stuck in 1999 as I do when I'm jamming heavy with my folks. Six Organs of Admittance I had heard of, and while it was tolerable, I really don't like Robert Plant (he practically ruins Jimmy Page and Zeppelin for me) so folks doing their best to imitate him really dissuade me quickly. In fact I think I feel EXACTLY the same way about Six Organs etc.. as I do about Zeppelin, perfect instrumental music, terrible singer. And honestly, I generally question the musical integrity of bands that are so brilliant musically, and yet don't realize their singer fucking sucks, makes me wonder, can't they notice, and if not, why the fuck not?

I guess I could dig Ranga but even that just sounded like me and lil homies fucking around in the jam space, not necessarily a more serious attempt and performing or making a deeply artistic album. There is a world of difference between just jamming around the house for fun, and the dedicated and draining craft of putting together a legitimate album or stage show. There was never an crescendo moments that just got me and said, "This is my new band to listen to" like for example, a particular track from the new Corin Tucker Band (before I was on the fence, after that track I got it, I'm hooked)

In others words thanks SYG for absolutely and completely and utterly wasting an hour of my time!

There goes my theory to agree with Kurt Cobain that every mid-decade there is a peak of a "few really good bands" because everything new sucks!

Corin Tucker Band at the Echo on Sunset October 9

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|