View Single Post
Old 08.08.2008, 04:46 PM   #18
jetengine
children of satan

jetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
I've always thought of Yo La Tengo as "the other SY" in the idea that, IN THE BEGINNING THERE WAS THE VELVET UNDERGROUND... but it split in half, and gave birth to Sonic Youth (VELVET UNDERGROUND & NICO, WHITE LIGHT WHITE HEAT) and Yo La Tengo (VELVET UNDERGROUND, LOADED). Yr thoughts?

So I guess the Squeeze album evolved into, like, REM...? (Well, 'Little Jack' would have fit in quite nicely on Out of Time.)

Sorry, but in order to understand this line of reasoning, I'd have to be one of those who sees Sonic Youth as nothing more than a continuation or update of The Velvet Underground. Frankly, I've never seen them--or heard them, more accurately--to be a product of The Velvet Underground any more than a product of The Pink Floyd, The Stooges, The Doors, Black Sabbath, Rolling Stones, Ramones, Television, Patti Smith, Glenn Branca, Dinosaur Jr., etc., etc.
jetengine is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|