View Single Post
Old 04.15.2009, 01:21 AM   #42
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Rick
Y'know I'm not much for talkin' shit, but....

If you are obsessed with why Modest Mouse sucks now, you are missing what's happening today. If you are still impressed with what Modest Mouse is doing and think that this decade is overall shitty, you are perhaps even more guilty of missing out on this halcyon age. Hint: Pitchfork and other pay-to-play and so-called-alt/indie-yet-all-about-idol-worship and mainstream media barely scratch the surface of it. Just look at the best of 09 so far thread......everyone's ravving about Wavves. That band probably won't even be a footnote in 15 years when historians talk about how special the late 00's were. I recognize Wavves' penchant for hookiness, but the lyrics are so insipid and apathetic, it makes me embarrassed on behalf of the youth of America. Woohoo...Boredom goth!

I had no idea about Pitchfork hype when I first listened to Wavves, I was more interested in the blog hype about Wavves (all the usual blogs I go to that usually turn me onto good stuff.. even experimental etc has Wavves fever!). And what can I say? Wavves is great shit. Just really good songs. Sure, it's not as great (or as lousy) as some people keep trying to make 'em out to be... but in the here and now, in 04/2009, they're an awesome, competent, pop band. I don't care about 15 years from now, I doubt I'll be alive around then, and Wavves definitely won't be together, so why worry about that.

....In general, I wouldn't really trust Pitchfork, for reasons I've given before (it's been proven that they give good reviews to labels that pay them lots of money for ad space, at least in the past.. though I doubt that policy has changed). Blastitude, Brainwashed, Dusted, and Perfect Sounds Forever (though they don't update much).. and blogs of course... are much better sources for discovering new music.

Still, I listen to lots of noise and drone and all that stuff and it's nice to listen to Wavves, who aren't doing anything groundbreaking but just the fact that they can write damn good songs excites me in the here and now. And it's nice to see that they're getting relatively popular. No reason to shit on good music. There's a million other awful bands that get popular we should be shitting on instead.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|