View Single Post
Old 10.06.2010, 03:08 PM   #35
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I also do not rate movies as an art form.

"art" that takes 20 producers, 300 crew and staff people, 20 actors, dozens of editors, cinematgraphers, etc is not art. it is ENGINEERING.
of course some movies are art. Of course some coffee stais are art as well.
that does not amke the media of film an art form.

I see it as a craft. 99% of movie making is not creative at all. thescreenwriter is creative. the actors themselves are creative. everyone else, from the director to the cinematographer to the lighting guy to the editor are NOT creating anything. they are putting parts created by others together to make a cohesive whole. while admirable and difficult, it is as "ART" as building a new toilet is.

99% (or whatever figure we pluck out of the air) of any art form is bullshit probably, but then bullshit is subjective. i think it's easy to make an arguement for marking something down as being craft when it is made as a product with the sole intention of making money*, but then just because it takes a team of any number of people to realise the vision of a few that doesn't discount the finished work from being art. I'm just speculating but Michaelangelo probably had hundreds of people working for him on the sistine chapel, but that doesn't mean automatically mean it's one thing or the other. And really beauty lies in the eye of the beholder and I think in these situations you have to say anything is art if other people say it is because for all we know Simon Cowell's current peice of televisual effluvia could be profoundly moving and touch the souls of some people despite how succinctly we would bag it as crap, or craft.

*also, i quite doubt that whoever is at the helm of making a crappy product type film/record/book would neccesarily view it that way, even if it's totally commercial and banal for all i know that guy who directed the transformers film and armageddon could be persuing some kind of hellish vision of artistry.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|