View Single Post
Old 08.13.2009, 01:48 PM   #48
infinitemusic
the destroyed room

infinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
I agree with all that, and I'd like to make special mention of stuff like Jandek where the lyrics are really the focal point. That's why that stuff is awesome, really. But most rock bands have useless, throwaway, unimportant lyrics. Specifically, the bands I listen to often have the vocals/lyrics buried in the mix. THere's plenty of good lyricists out there (Slint, Captain Beefheart) but really it's hard to mix melody with good lyrics. Because you end up compromising one or the other and it sounds stupid.

See, the thing with those quotes is, none of those people wrote very good lyrics, so of course they would say that. I like Big Black, but lyrics are not what you focus on when you listen to Big Black, and that's why I'll only ever be a casual fan. People who actually do write good lyrics usually talk about how they are very important. It might be a cause/effect thing, but it's the way it almost always is.

And I really don't think it's that hard to mix a good melody with good lyrics. Well, I guess it is hard, but I don't care. I want both because both are extremely important to me.

^^^ And that's interesting about the langage difference
infinitemusic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|