View Single Post
Old 02.16.2014, 03:50 PM   #35
zelocia
bad moon rising

zelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asses
I have a tremendous amount of respect for Thurston as a musician and I think that Trees and Demolished Thoughts are a couple of the greatest albums that have been released in recent years. I'm kind of glad that he's decided to drop the "Chelsea Light Moving" and work under his own name. I've seen CLM (when they were under that name) 5 times. I was already bored of the songs in live performance by the 3rd time that I saw them. I've maybe listened to the LP once or twice. I'm just disappointed in the song-writing quality compared to his previous two releases. Compared to his songs with Sonic Youth, particularly with Rather Ripped and The Eternal, I think the quality varies. His guitar-playing on those albums isn't that different from the riffs that he plays on the CLM songs. I think that he may have put more effort into writing lyrics for at least some of the songs on RR and The Eternal. But the CLM songs are him trying to relive minimalist/no-wave stuff and I thought that he really grew as a song-writer with Trees and DT but now he is regressing and not trying anymore and it's just a shame. I don't care for his new song, Detonation, either.

I have no specific complaints about the song Heavenmetal in particular, I feel the same way about it as I do all of the other songs. But the video is one of the worst things I've ever seen. The production is too fancy and it's just not him. I don't think that he's trying to do something new as an artist but he's letting people (or a person) influence his activities too much. Thurston is beyond the bullshit that that video is.
zelocia is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|