View Single Post
Old 11.21.2009, 04:43 PM   #2
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decayed Rhapsody
It's really funny that Bikini Kill are credited with ushering in 3rd wave feminism. The fact that men are still so central to their political message feels very 2nd wave to me. It's the kind of binary thinking that 3rd wave/radical feminism moved away from... i mean, those women might identify as radical feminists but the actual musical content says otherwise. I also feel like they fall into a lot of the bullshit tropes of identity politics. If I was to follow BK's logic, as a male feminist interested in fighting women's oppression, am I somehow forbidden because I'm biologically predisposed to having a dick instead of a cunt?

its not so much that Bikini Kill ushered in a new wave of feminism as much as they have become the symbol of this wave. The atmosphere was electric in this regard, and the scene was clearly growing. The early-mid 90s were definitely a boom for feminism. The end result, in the 21st century women have a 10-30% in the graduating classes of most universities. The feminism of the 90s motivated a lot of action..

The Beatles did not directly bring about the revolution in music in the 1960s, they just became the symbol of that generation, the seeds were already sprouting at the time. The Ramones or the Sex Pistols did not usher in the punk movement, that seeds were already sprouting, they just took on the image. Black Sabbath did not invent heavy metal.. well shit actually I think they did

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|