View Single Post
Old 06.15.2007, 02:22 PM   #47
Washing Machine
expwy. to yr skull

Washing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's asses
I've told this story a million times but I got into SY through The Simpsons. I had watched that Homerpalloza episode and thought this whole 'Alternative Music' and 'GenX' thing was the coolest thing ever. Plus the names sounded so cool - 'Smashing Pumpkins', 'Nine Inch Nails', 'Sonic Youth'. I got into the Pumpkins in a big way and made my way through all the bands mentioned in that episode until I got to Sonic Youth. My first song was The Diamond Sea. Which is a good thing because if I had started on something more extreme, I perhaps wouldnt be here talking now, and my compositional style would be vastly different. I wouldnt have got into Branca, Steve Reich, John Cage or rock bands like Slint, Pavement, The Velvets or countless others. Actually Fuck It. How could I not like a band that call themselves 'Sonic Youth' and have such cool albums titles as 'Daydream Nation', 'Goo' and 'EVOL'?