View Single Post
Old 07.24.2016, 09:11 PM   #49039
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by a baby in 1980
Bill Evans Trio - Waltz for Debby

A phenomenal album. Anyone who still thinks these are simply leftovers from Sunday At The Village Vanguard needs to put down the crackpipe real fuckin' quick.

I actually heard "Milestones" here first! By the way, after over half a century (!) there still appears to be a confusion about what came first: Evans' take on Bernstein's "Some Other Time", his intro to Kind Of Blue's "Flamenco Sketches", or his own "Peace Piece". But the original liner notes seem pretty clear to me:

Quote:
The altered harmonic patterns with which Bill and Scott begin Leonard Bernstein's "Some Other Time" will be instantly familiar to many Evans followers. He first planned to record this tune in 1958, for the Everybody Digs Bill Evans album, which contains another Bernstein song from On The Town, "Lucky To Be Me". But at that time he became so involved with one figure he created for it that he expanded that into a free improvisation —"Peace Piece"— which has become perhaps his best known work. Here, three years later, is the germ of that idea, and there is, I think, a general similarity in improvisational approach, although it should be noted that "Peace Piece" was not an "original" based on the Bernstein chords.

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|