View Single Post
Old 01.16.2014, 06:58 PM   #8786
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
Winter Jazz Fest Round Robin Improvs 2014-01-10 New York City Aud Flac
Sylvie Courvoisier, lngrid Laubrock, Nels Cline and more

From Nels Cline HQ:

Quote:

This Weekend in NYC: Nels Cline at the Alternative Guitar Summit

The 4th Annual Alternative Guitar Summit will take place Jan. 17-19 at Subculture in Manhattan, as part of the city-wide New York Guitar Festival. The Alternative Guitar Summit’s goal is to present master improvisers and composers in concert. The event aims to focus on free-thinkers, those who reject category and style and are radically imaginative. Over the course of the weekend, Nels takes part in 3 unique formats:

Saturday, January 18: Masterclass with Nels Cline
The Drama League Theater Center, 32 Ave. of the Americas
1:30 - 3:30pm. Tickets
All levels invited. (Note: attendees should not bring guitars)

Saturday, January 18: Fred Frith & Nels Cline

Duets
SubCulture NYC, New York, NY
8:15pm & 10:45pm. Tickets

About his duets with Fred Frith, Nels writes:

This will not be my first time playing with the legendary Mr. Frith, a man who started changing the way I think about music and the guitar back in the mid-'70s. But it will be the first time that we have played guitars together, and I am thrilled and honored that curator/guitarist Joel Harrison asked me to do this. You see, other times when I played with Fred he was playing BASS in ROVA Saxophone Quartet's OrkestROVA doing their "Electric Ascension," their re-imagining of John Coltrane's epic free-blowing piece. When we first performed it together in San Francisco, I thought to myself, "What's wrong with this picture?!" We did have some great gigs playing this in various locations around the globe, but you know… I love to hear Fred Frith play his innovative guitar improvisations, even though his bass playing with Naked City and in those old duets with Henry Kaiser was and is seriously kickass…. Anyway, I do so enjoy playing in duet with guitarists, as one look at my gig and recording roster the last couple of decades will reveal (indeed, I will play some Paul Motian songs this Sunday with Julian Lage as part of this same festival). So it is with considerable excitement that I prepare to delve into the sound world with the man who, starting for me with his "Guitar Solos" record then Massacre's "Killing Time" and his "guitars-on-tables" performances in the '70s, shaped (warped??) my conception of what an electric guitar can do/say: Fred Frith.

Sunday, January 19, 2014: Nels Cline & Julian Lage
The Music of Paul Motian
SubCulture NYC, New York, NY
Duos beginning at 8:00pm. Tickets

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|