View Single Post
Old 05.04.2009, 11:40 AM   #376
NWRA
children of satan

NWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by koolthing78

-Speaking of headphones, Calming the Snake takes on a whole new life through them. The guitar in the left ear that comes in after the lone bass line is actually playing notes (albeit noisy, disguised ones)--and awesome ones at that. And the way they introduce one guitar in the right ear, then the one in the middle, then the one in the left (and I LOVE that "bum-buuum bum-buuum- buuuuuum" thing) allows you to hear the individual and seemingly disparate things going on, which makes the fact that they all work together that much more exciting. Noise here is not a substitution for structure--it is the foundation for it (not completely unlike Blonde Redhead's "Symphony of Treble")

I only noticed that (the guitar in the left ear) on the third time of listening to it. I guess that's why I'm reserving my judgement until it's released on CD.

My initial thoughts were: a strong album, with lots of individually good songs (and some great ones, i.e., Anti-Orgasm being my favourite) - my only reservation being that it doesn't seem like a unified body of songs like previous albums: the early albums (particularly Bad Moon Rising) and the Jim Or Rourke three are obviously unified because they have a loose concept, use fragments of sound to progress from one song to another; and even the songs on Dirty and Rather Ripped are unified to an extent because the albums have a distinctive guitar-tone – this seems to be lacking from The Eternal (though now I’m more familiar with the songs, I’m not sure if it’s a problem for me).
NWRA is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|