View Single Post
Old 09.05.2015, 12:48 AM   #18
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Oh, i have my qualms with TV Carrie considering what SK was as a band for so long but the show was fun beyond my expectations. I was worried it would be too much a nostalgia show but the new material made it something fresh, something like every SK album tour always felt like.

I will say this, Corin Tucker Band Kill My Blues is better than No Cities To Love, but just barely. I honestly think that Corin got in on this reunion because she needed the boost, i was so disappointed at the turn out at the Corin Tucker Band shows here in LA considering how Sk always always always were sold out shows and Wild Flag was big here too

Yeah, I'm a big Corin Tucker Band fan. Kill My Blues was a great album. Same with Wild Flag. But I have had the same thought about Corin and it bums me out a bit. I know the current mythology dictates that Corin and Carrie were the heart of the band, but Carrie has always felt like the most basic (in a Rick Ross kind of way...) member. Janet rarely gets the recognition she deserves for what she actually contributed to the band's inimitable sound. Carrie's great, but she's not my favorite contributor.

I will say this about her: for the longest time SK felt like the female, West Coast equivalent of Fugazi. There was something classic about their non-traditional variation on percussive punk. But Carrie has more or less put an end to that. The parallel, if it ever existed, has been broken, and now for better or worse SK is simultaneously more than and less than an iconic punk music presence. That's what happens when celebrity grows beyond a certain point for someone in a band. It almost happened to Sonic Youth once or twice, but never did.

The show was killer, but the SK I grew up around exists only in hindsight, despite the fact that the band is active with all its players. Does that make a lick of sense?
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|