View Single Post
Old 05.12.2013, 10:31 AM   #23
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
thanks!
definitely agree about the fact series, which is a good thing since i think the rest of the website is really going downhill, especially the news section which has really become terrible. i find resident advisor a much better place these days.
oh and ben klock is a fantastic dj. some of the roughest sounds i ever heard in a set - only topped by that karenn live show i think. went to a tectonic label night yesterday with shackleton, pinch, peverelist and appleblim, probably the best night i've been to in months.

re: getting into djing. i'd say it depends on where you live, what you're planning to mix, how much you're willing to invest at first, etc. because depending on those factors, you'll have different approaches, different codes, etc. PERSONNALY, i think a good entry point for djing is something like traktor s2, which is a professionnal, but mad cheap controller. i think it's like 400€ brand new these days, including the traktor licence, which doesn't make it such an investment (ponder that with buying 2xCDjs + a mixer...). you get to try djing, see if you like it, without having to spend 2000€. however, you have to know that depending on your style and country, it may be really difficult to get bookings if you're mixing on a controller, cause a lot of people see it as "cheating" - personnaly i think such comments are rubbish, especially as ten years ago people thought cdjs were cheating as well, and i think it's going to change soon, but right now that's how it is in some places -. you'd probably struggle to dj deep dubstep on a controller in brixton for instance... so there's that. if you still choose to go the controller route, i'd suggest not using sync function, or traktor's phase meter: that'll make you able to mix on cdjs later if you want to without having to learn much more.
in the end, record a set at home, send it around to some bars, you'll end up getting small sets, possibly nights in small places.. then it can grow from there. getting into the scene is a good point as well - just going often to nights, etc, you'll get to know people you run nights and stuff and that should ease it as well.
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|